Friday, October 21, 2011

On my way

I made the first day an easy one.  I left after Senior College and only went 130 miles.  Stayed the night in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Southern Maine.

The second day I made it to Connecticut.  The camper tows like a dream.  The truck is getting between 13 and 14 miles to the gallon.  It's going to be an expensive trip as far as gas is concerned.

While showing the camper to my daughter I tried to turn on the lights.  No go!  Tried everything else, still no go.  Checked the battery.  Dead flat.  Plugged in the 110 power.  Lights turned on and the meter showed the battery charging.  The only thing I could figure was that I had forgotten to plug in the truck power when I left home.  Then I smelled electrical insulation burning.  I've got a short somewhere.  I've pulled the fuse between the battery and the converter which gives me 110 power so I can use the camper, but the battery isn't charging.  I wonder if I've ruined the battery.

Tomorrow I'll call the dealer and find out just how good the warranty is.  I'm three hundred miles from the dealer and need a repair.  I might be able to find and fix the short myself, but would rather have it done under warranty.  I wonder if there are any Aliner dealers in CT.


1 comment:

  1. Uh oh! I hope the repairs come quickly and cheaply! Tina says Hi, and we are looking forward to hear about the next leg of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete