Monday, October 3, 2011

Ham or Amateur Radio

Back in the early 90's I studied, took the tests and got a ham radio license.  For years I worked the air waves regularly.  The last couple of years I've been off the air.  I'm not sure why I stopped.  Now I'm getting interested again.

My first job is to wire my pickup so I can work the radio while mobile.  Then I've got to make some portable antennas so I can be on the air from campgrounds.  Talking to people around the world from my little camper will be fun.

If you are a ham; I am N1ITK and will be working 2 meters and 20 meters on a regular basis.

1 comment:

  1. During our road trip we saw someone at the top of a mountain with a huge antenna. My only guess is he was operating an amateur radio. I believe it was Mount Roanoke.

    I'm not sure if this was just the closest easy to access mountain top to him or if something about the spot made it good for the activity, but I thought it was interesting. If you drive through Roanoke during your journey maybe you can check it out? The road going up is pretty steep and has a lot of curves, so I'm not sure how doable it will be with a camper.

    ReplyDelete