Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Senior College

A few years ago I discovered the Belfast Senior College at the Hutchinson Center in Belfast, Maine.  The SC had been in existence a few years before I discovered it.  I wish I'd known about it earlier.

The idea of lectures and activities lead by talented, experienced, knowledgeable, instructors is wonderful.  Especially since they require no papers or homework. 

I have now taken a number of courses ranging from "The Life of a Cell"  to "A Look at Cuba" by a man who had been there.  My favorite was a four session look at the life of the Roma (gypsies).  Each session was a video.  One traced the history of the Roma, through music and dance, from India to Spain.  Another was a romantic comedy using subtitles. ("White Cat, Black Cat)  That is one of my favorite movies of all time.

As of September, 2011 I'm taking "Maine History to 1865" and "Basics of Good Reasoning".  So far "Reasoning" looks to be one of the best courses I've taken.

If you are over fifty look around in your area.  There is a very good chance there is a Senior College nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment