Saturday, September 17, 2011

Money

Sometime during the night I heard a horrible noise.  The propane furnace turned on for the first time since spring.  All I could think of was dollar bills burning.  This house is a hundred and fifty years old and I have neglected the maintenance.  One of the results of that is it leaks heat horribly. 

The first couple of years after Jeannette died I actually was able to increase the savings account.  Since then I have had to tap savings to install a new furnace and to pay some smaller bills.  Now I have financed the new camper.  The political attacks on public employee pension systems means that my income will probably not keep pace with inflation.  I can only hope the savings will last.  If interest rates on CDs and IRAs ever increase it will help.

I buy lottery tickets knowing the odds against winning.  I rationalize that I am buying daydreams.  The small amount I spend on the tickets would never generate enough income to make a difference.  On the other hand a lottery win would allow me to make a difference in many lives and give to the organizations I now support with tiny amounts.  Such is the stuff of wishful thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment