Saturday, September 17, 2011

Planning "the trip"

Sometime in the next couple of months I am leaving on a major trip, using the Aliner as my nomadic home.  This will be the first time I have ever just taken off for parts unknown, alone.  So far I have chosen a few places to stop, but almost nothing is definite.  There will be a stop in CT to visit daughter Audrey, her husband Wes, and the two grandkids; Maria and Peter.  There will be a stop in VA to visit daughter Beth and her stepdaughter Melissa.  Other than that I will be looking for places that offer inexpensive camping spots and access to water for the kayak.  I will also be geocaching and playing ham radio.  There's going to be plenty to do.

A stop at Assateague National Park is probable as is a stop at Croatan National Forest.  Neither is certain.  This type of freedom brings on a strange feeling.  How will I ever function without a definite plan of where I am going next and a filled in calendar for the future.
Planning what to take for supplies in the camper and truck is a real mental exercise.  I know that I will probably take way too much stuff, but I also know there will be things I will forget.  Having plenty of room in the truck leads to poor planning.  I am making three lists; stuff that stays in the camper, stuff that stays in the truck, and stuff that is loaded at the last minute.  The lists change daily.

To a large degree there is a need to duplicate the minutia of living in a house;  Cutlery, dishes, towels, etc.  As I clean out the house I find there is no need to buy things for camping, because I already have many items.

The planning for the travel is fun, planning what to take is a chore.

No comments:

Post a Comment