Friday, December 25, 2015

12/23/15
I hate cities. I have seen far more of Houston than I ever wanted and hope never to see again. If I didn't have the gps I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to get where I am.

I'm in Texana Lake State Park. A really beautiful spot. A nice lake. Looks like the kayaking will be nice. I hope the alligators behave themselves. The place is loaded with geocaches and hiking and biking paths to those caches. I've only been here a few hours and already have seen deer, pelicans, and an opossum. Campsites are good sized and spread out with plenty of space between. I haven't checked out the showers yet. I hope they're clean. I'm checked in and paid for a week.
If everything is as nice as it looks I may stay an extra week.

Beautiful sunset tonight and the temperature is around eighty. Humidity doesn't seem too bad. Certainly better than last night in Louisiana.

No cell phone or internet here in the park. I'll have to go find a hotspot somewhere, maybe the local library. I'll post this when I find a spot.

12/25/15
This will be my third night at Texana Lake. There are hot spots, but I have needed to use the tablet to access them and I'm having trouble with that. If this gets posted tonight it will mean I've solved the problem or found a work around.

Today I found my first Texas cache. That makes 23 states.

I've seen deer every day. They are almost tame, showing no fear of me as I go by. Thought I saw an alligator, but it was just a log. People tell me there are plenty of them. I am amused by the signs along the lake, “don't feed the alligators” and “swim at your own risk, no lifeguards on duty”, and the signs are not that far apart.

I've been talking with a few of the other campers, they are mostly from Texas. One of the campground hosts is from Quebec. I haven't had a chance to meet them.

Haven't got the kayak out yet. Bicycle has been plenty of exercise.


Guess I'll close this and see if I can get it online.

On the way out of the park I saw my first armadillo.

No comments:

Post a Comment