Friday, November 4, 2011

11-4-11 Murrell Inlet South Carolina


Today I drove from Croatan National Forest in North Carolina to Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina. Only about 135 miles and the traffic was light. Made for an easy trip. I'm beginning to think I'm dragging poor weather with me. Just now it's 53 degrees and the wind is gusting up to 20 knots. The camper is rocking with the wind just now. Stiff winds forecast for the next couple of days too. Not very good for kayaking. Time for some more geocaching and trying ham radio frequencies. I going to be here till Monday morning. I just realized I may have trouble reserving a campsite for Monday as many places don't have anyone on reservation duty over the weekend. I'll just have to wait and see.

This campground has more sites, closer together than Croatan. In contrast to Croatan the shower room is heated, and there is soap in the men's room. I imagine every campground will be different, yet similar.

In North Carolina, when I got away from the main roads and the chain stores I found a beautiful area. I assume that will be the same here. The drive down was monotonous. The land is so flat and in the rural areas the highway was flanked by large trees, nothing to be seen. In the more urban or suburban areas the stores and office buildings look like the same things everywhere else I've traveled. The architecture of offices and big box stores is not very interesting.

A little while ago I met a man who is traveling with an Aliner just as I am. He has modified the interior of his to be far more efficient than mine. It would seem, from reading I've done, these things are easily customized. For now I'm satisfied with what I've got. I had read that Aliners draw a lot of attention because of their distinctive design. From the stares I'm seeing I have to agree with that. Just saw a guy almost go off the road on his bicycle while looking it over. I discovered today that the windows are tinted to the point that no one outside can see inside if the lights are not on. So I'm having fun watching people.

No comments:

Post a Comment