Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Back in the Okefenokee. Written on 11/13/11


I am in Stephen Foster campground in the Okefenoke swamp. I finally saw my first alligator. In fact I saw my first dozen or so. The waters around here are full of them. I was paddling along and caught sight of a couple of bumps in the water and then noticed they were leaving a wake. That was the first one. After that I would see head, snout and back as they swam along. All of them would let me get about thirty or forty feet away and they would just slowly sink and disappear. A good day kayaking.

 
The closest I got to an alligator
 
The camper has developed a serious problem. The fuse between the converter and the 12 volt system has blown and nothing I do fixes the problem. This means I have no power unless I'm hooked up to 110 power. It also means the truck will not be charging the battery while I'm driving. I'm going to try using the propane while on the move to keep the refrigerator cold. Hope it works till I get some help. I'll call the dealer tomorrow.

There is no cell phone service here so I can't upload a post until the next campground.

Tomorrow may be 300 miles or more before stopping.

1 comment: