Friday, November 18, 2011

Jellico TN, 11-18-11


Time to update the blog.

I left Stephen Foster State Park in the Okefenokee on Tuesday the fifteenth. Arrived at the River Country Campground in Gadsden AL around six in the evening. It would have been a horrible trip if it weren't for my Garmin gps. The last part of the trip was after dark and in pouring rain.

My stay was uneventful, no adventures. Rained most of the stay.  I did do a geocache in between heavy showers. The campground was nice. The restrooms and showers were spotless. I'm glad the campground was mostly empty as the spaces were way too close for my comfort. It is an urban campground, right in the middle of Gadsden. Beautiful spot on the river.

I arrived here in Jellico, TN yesterday afternoon (Thursday, 17th). An easy trip. Under three hundred miles. Most of the trip was through some spectacular mountainous scenery. The campground is a reclaimed strip mine. A nice spot with mountains surrounding the town. No amenities other than an electrical hookup though. There's a rest room about half a mile away. No showers. Last night the temperature dropped below freezing. You would think I was back in Maine. I did a geocache yesterday afternoon and one in Kentucky today. Nothing special. No adventures here either.

Ham radio has just not been a priority. Every time I think I'll put in a few hours something else becomes more important (food, laundry, repairs, etc). This next move I am going to stay put for a couple of days. Maybe I'll get some time for the radio.

I think I've solved my electrical problem.  The solution required buying a new battery for the camper.  The old one was dry and dead.  I am not sure what happened.  It may have been overcharged somehow and boiled dry, or the dealer may have given me a bad battery to start with.  If it is overcharging something is wrong with the converter charger.  Or I don't know how to use the system.  I thought it was automatic.  I'm keeping a close watch on charging now.  It may be that I can't let the converter keep charging when I'm on 110 power.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment