Friday, November 11, 2011

11-8-11 Okefenokee

I'm camped in the Stephen C. Foster State Park in the middle of the Okefenokee swamp in Georgia.
The park is seventeen miles from the nearest town, and that is the small town of Fargo.

The park is just a plain campground with no amenities other than canoe rental.  The quietest place I've stayed yet.  Only three other parties in the campground.  No cell phone coverage here.  I had to go into Fargo today to make a couple of calls and do a geocache.  Thirty five miles to make two phone calls, eat breakfast at a diner, and buy a couple of groceries.  You'd almost think I was at home in Maine.

Fred and Sharon came by tonight and shared stories about the places they've stayed.  They are from Washington state and travel four months out of the year.  They have seen the whole country and intend to see more and more detail.

I tried some more ham radio today and still am not making contacts.  Not sure if anything is wrong.

If the weather is good in the morning I'll make arrangements to stay an extra day and get out in the kayak.

No comments:

Post a Comment