Thursday, November 3, 2011

Croatan National Forest, North Carolina

Arrived just before five on Tuesday Nov. 1.  The drive took longer than it should have because my gps in the car needs to be updated.  It took me through three areas that could have been avoided as there are new bypasses around the built up areas.  Guess I'll have to spring for some new maps.

The campground (Cedar Point campground of the Croatan National Forest is very nice.  Paved camping spots, electric hookups, and plenty of space between sites.   Clean too.  This whole area is beautiful once you get beyond the ticky tacky of big name stores and chains.  I found a cache at a little town park with a gorgeous view.  Driving around there is such a contrast between the tourist trap
atmosphere and the local areas.

The campsite

A view of the water from a geocache site at a small town park.





The klepper, ready for a day on the water




The weather forecast lead me astray.  The forecast for Wednesday was for low to mid 60's and twenty knot winds.  So I took my time getting out and about and found a beautiful day.  Did some caching and tried some ham radio.  The forecast for today (Thursday) was for similar temperatures and light winds.  So I decided to stay an extra day.  I'm so happy I did.  Got out in the kayak amongst salt marshes next to the state forest.  How I love being on the water in a kayak.  The feeling is almost like flying.

Tomorrow I'm headed for Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina.  I'm planning on being there for three days.  I have no idea about kayaking in that area, but there is always some geocaches and ham radio attempts.

I love this little camper, but it does make for some irritations.  Tonight I brought back some leftovers.  To make room in the little refrigerator I have to kneel on the floor and poke around.  To make coffee in the morning I have to unload the stuff in the microwave so I can heat the water.  Every chore just takes longer.  Just as I get irritated I look over and there is someone living in a tent.  I'm in luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment